Crofton Beam Engines
The Crofton Beam Engines are set in a beautiful canal-side location; the engines, grounds and Engineman’s Rest Cafe are open throughout the summer months. The beautiful grounds lead down to the Kennet & Avon Canal and provide an area where you can enjoy a picnic.
Built over 200 years ago to raise water from natural springs up to the highest point of the Kennet & Avon Canal, the Pumping Station is Grade One listed and contains two beam engines, both restored to working order. The Boulton and Watt engine, built in 1812, is the oldest beam engine in the world still in its original setting and carrying out its original job. The Harvey & Co. of Hayle, Cornwall engine, built in 1846 and modified in 1905, is one of the few remaining operating engines of its type.
Crofton is open Tuesday to Sunday and on Bank Holiday Mondays and the dates for the 2020 season are from Saturday 4th April through to Sunday 4th October. They open at 10:30am and close at 4.30pm, with site gates closed at 5pm.
Admission to see the boiler house and engines on other non-steaming days is currently by timed guided tour only. Typically tours start at 11am, 12 noon, 1:30pm, 2:30pm and 3:30pm although this can vary due to circumstances beyond our control and operational factors. Crofton runs lots of events throughout the year, some of which have the engines steaming – have a look here to find out what’s on.
For morning coffee, brunch, lunch or afternoon tea, The Engineman’s Rest Café is open every day (except Wednesdays) and you can visit the cafe without having to tour the Beam Engines.
Dogs on leads are welcome in the grounds but, with the exception of assistance dogs, are not allowed in the Café or Engine House.
During the winter months, when Crofton is closed, important maintenance work takes place – have a look at how complex this is to do.
Directions to listing
Send Message to listing owner
Listing Title: Crofton Beam Engines