Crofton Beam EnginesFeatured
The Crofton Beam Engines are set in a beautiful canal-side location where you can enjoy a picnic.
Built over 200 years ago to raise water from natural springs up to the highest point of the Kennet & Avon Canal, the Pumping Station is Grade One listed and contains two beam engines, both restored to working order. The Boulton and Watt engine, built in 1812, is the oldest beam engine in the world still in its original setting and carrying out its original job. The Harvey & Co. of Hayle, Cornwall engine, built in 1846 and modified in 1905, is one of the few remaining operating engines of its type.
During 2021, Crofton is open Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays from 10.15am – 4.00pm (last entry to engines at 3.30pm) until the end of September 2021. Steaming weekends for 2021 are being released and can be found on the What’s On page. Please also check on their website and social media for updates. The Engineman’s Rest Café is closed until further notice.
Dogs on leads are welcome in the grounds but, with the exception of assistance dogs, are not allowed in the Engine House.