Holy Cross Church – Wilcot

The parish was first mentioned in 964 in a grant made by Edmund the Elder of the Manor of Pevesie (Pewsey) to Hyde Abbey.On 11 April 1876 the church was gutted by fire, the walls and tower remaining.

Rebuilding took place that year.The Jacobean Fruit Trencher, commonly called the “Wooden Paten”, let into the south wall of the Sanctuary, dates from about 1610.

Before the fire there was a gallery along the north side of the church for the school children.


Directions to listing

Send Message