St Mary’s Church – Alton Barnes
The parish was mentioned in the Domesday Book and its name derives from the Saxon “village by the stream”.
The parish contains a long barrow at Adam’s Grave, a section of the Wansdyke and a famous white horse, cut in 1812.
The tiny church is Saxon and was much rebuilt in the 18th century. There is a fine 16th century tie-beamed and wind-braced roof, a Georgian gallery and some interesting monuments.
There are several stained glass panels, including work of Laurence Whistler.
The nearby canal-side hamlet of Honeystreet grew up round the timber and boat yards in the 19th century.