St Nicholas’ Church – East Grafton
In the nineteenth century an enlightened and energetic vicar, John Ward, fought a long campaign to give Grafton its own church.
He persuaded the Marquess of Ailesbury, who owned the land around, to give enough ground for a church, a parsonage and a school.
The church was completed in 1844. It is built of Bath stone, in the Romanesque or neo-Norman style, with an apse and a campanile, rather like a smaller edition of Wilton church near Salisbury.
The apse is the most distinctive feature of our church, and its decoration is the work of Willement, famous for his church interiors
Directions to listing
Send Message to listing owner
Listing Title: St Nicholas’ Church – East Grafton