Pewsey is the main village and service centre in the Pewsey Vale. The River Avon runs through the middle of the village, just by King Alfred’s statue in Market Place, and just north of the village is Pewsey Wharf on the Kennet & Avon Canal.
Pewsey has a mainline railway station linking you to London (Paddington Station) to the east and to towns in Devon and Cornwall to the west.
There are plenty of independent and specialist shops in the village as well as a number of traditional village pubs. Make sure you visit Marshall’s Bakery in North Street to sample the local delicacy of the lardy cake – it’s very filling!
Pewsey is home to one of the Wiltshire White Horses, as well as Jones’s Mill Nature Reserve. Visit the Pewsey Heritage Centre for a fine display of rural history and the Pewsey Vale Craft & Community Tea Rooms for a display of locally made crafts and work from local artists – all for sale!
If you are visiting in September, then don’t miss the Pewsey Carnival which is held annually. There are lots of events in the run up to the carnival, all of which are a lot of fun to watch or participate in.
- Free parking at the Coop and at Bouverie Hall
- Some free short stay parking on the roads
- Free loos (open during daylight hours – refurbished in 2018) next to the Bouverie Hall car park
- Leisure centre and community campus (The Vale – open from Autumn 2018)
- Doctors surgery
- Tourist Information available at most shops and pubs, including Cossor’s Shop and at the Tourist Information Kiosk at Swan Corner.
Places to stay in Pewsey
Places to visit in Pewsey
Ideas for your visit
Directions to listing
Send Message to listing owner
Listing Title: Pewsey